15 replies to this topic

#1 NotSpider

NotSpider

Administrator

• Owner
  • 181 posts
  • LocationPalm Beach, Florida

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

This is my opinion on the new generation of consoles, I'd like to hear yours.

I was reading an article and doing a bit of research as I tend to do, and I was trying to come up with a very formulated opinion on why I was picking up the Xbox One before the PS4. I often read and hear Sony fanboys talk about how they are picking up a PS4 because it's the more powerful console and how if you are getting an Xbox One you aren't a true gamer and you should just go watch TV on it because it isn't made for "true gamers". While this idea is laughable to me because both consoles run three year old hardware (PC MASTER RACE) it's more laughable because it's almost as if people forget that the Playstation 3 was the "entertainment" console of last generation. I never understand how Sony did it but they always had the ability to convince people even last generation when the Xbox 360 had a faster GPU and more RAM that their console was a superior juggernaut of power. I was looking at stats of both consoles which is something I don't usually do because I don't really give a fuck about power or graphics. My favorite game is a mod of a game that came out in 2004 and I don't think it looks that bad, but I was reading the charts and the console that everyone says blows the Xbox One out of the water doesn't even have an advantage. The Xbox One's GPU is clocked at 853Mhz while the Playstation 4's GPU is clocked at 800Mhz. While the GPU in the Playstation is stronger it's about the only thing that is stronger. Both Xbox One and Playstation 4 will be using the same exact CPU.  The only real difference between the two is presumably the clock speed.  The Playstation 4's CPU has a total compute power of 102 Gigaflops, and the Xbox One's CPU has 112 Gigaflops of compute power.  By comparison, the Xbox 360's processor had 72 Gigaflops of compute power, and the Playstation 3's Cell had a whopping 230 Gigaflops of compute power.  While the Playstation 4, and Xbox One's processors offer less than half of the Playstation 3's Cell, they are a whole lot less complicated to develop for.  Overall, Xbox One has a 10% advantage in terms of CPU power. Xbox One also wins the audio department.  Microsoft is very proud of their audio block as it was actually completely made from the ground up by their Xbox Team.  It is capable of 512 audio channels (~300 more than Ps4's block), and is used to decode and encode audio data.  It will be used to do high quality sound for games, and also help with Kinect's voice commands.  They also have spoken about how they have allowed it to freely exchange data with the CPU in case a title decides to push some highly complex audio and requires CPU help to process. Basically the PS4 wins with the GPU and the Xbox wins with the CPU the Sound and the ability to use the cloud. While all of this is interesting because Sony has their fanbase convinced their console is superior in every aspect it doesn't interest me at all. When I was young I used to play the 8 bit Nintendo, my brother would play the 16 bit Sega Genesis. I played the Nintendo because even thou it was less powerful I felt like the games on the console were better, and in most cases they were. I remember fast forwarding a bit when I used to play the Playstation 2 more then the Xbox because I felt the PS2 had better games. I see everyone talking about how great the PS4 is because of it's power and graphics and it's true 1080P but I look at the Xbox as a fan of shooters and see that Microsoft has the 300K servers to totally obliterate lag for multiplayer, I see the Xbox coming out with Halo, Gears of War, TitanFall, and Cod/BF DLC first. Then I look over at PS4 and while it does have Killzone which I like, the rest are game series that I haven't enjoyed since the first like Uncharted and Infamous. I see games like Call of Duty which don't look exceptionally amazing sell top of the charts every year, and I see games like Minecraft rise to fame. It makes me wonder why do people care so much about power, why don't they realize that a console is only as good as the games that come out for it. What is your opinion?

#2 Mango

Mango

Lord of the Fruits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

I enjoyed reading this. Maybe this thread will finally set things straight, preach it sista! I'll play anything, on any console. I never cared for graphics or power. It's so weird to me that people fight over this. Anyways, I started off on an NES and a PlayStation, (my grandma had my NES at her house, so yeah) and to this day I still play those games. They're fun, simple and tons of nostalgic memories. Then I got a PlayStation 2 and I have tons of favorites on that. Then I went to Xbox 360 because of Halo. I decided on going with an Xbox One because I wasn't convinced by Sony's next gen games to go out and buy their newest console. I enjoy gaming purely for the games, I don't care what I play it on. I enjoy playing on PC and console pretty equally. If I didn't smoke so much god damn pot I'd probably have a job and be able to buy more consoles. (I.E. Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PlayStation 4) Basically if I enjoy a game, I'll play it. I don't care for graphics and I don't care what console it's on. That's all I've got to say, nice thread by the way.

#3 NotSpider

NotSpider

Administrator

• Owner
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

I enjoyed reading this. Maybe this thread will finally set things straight, preach it sista! I'll play anything, on any console. I never cared for graphics or power. It's so weird to me that people fight over this. Anyways, I started off on an NES and a PlayStation, (my grandma had my NES at her house, so yeah) and to this day I still play those games. They're fun, simple and tons of nostalgic memories. Then I got a PlayStation 2 and I have tons of favorites on that. Then I went to Xbox 360 because of Halo. I decided on going with an Xbox One because I wasn't convinced by Sony's next gen games to go out and buy their newest console. I enjoy gaming purely for the games, I don't care what I play it on. I enjoy playing on console. If I didn't smoke so much god damn pot I'd probably have a job and be able to buy more consoles. (I.E. Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PlayStation 4) Basically if I enjoy a game, I'll play it. I don't care for graphics and I don't care what console it's on. That's all I've got to say, nice thread by the way.

agreed.

#4 quinn50

quinn50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationRichmond Virginia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

I could care less about graphics its the gameplay and mechanics, If i could i would play consoles, like if i get a wii u, it didn't sell well but it has great exclusives, as well as ps having uncharted and xbox having halo, but in preferences il pick xbox one over ps4.

#5 Amp

Amp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

If the game's graphics itself don't look outdated, it doesn't matter. I could care less about cross-platform games looking better on the PS4, or any game for that matter. As long as I can play it and It's fun I'm okay. Somehow all my friends IRL are convinced PS4 is superior because of it's hardware. What my friends don't know yet (they didn't buy PS4s yet) is that the UI is clunky and disorganized (I tried the PS4 at a cousin's house) and the launch titles are not all that great. I really only played Killzone but even that game wasn't that good. The PS4 isn't really innovative since it is just has better hardware then the PS3 with new UI and games.

Meanwhile, I've been to a Microsoft store near me that has an Xbox One on station and man, it was great. The Kinect voice commands were cool and the UI was really nice, only took like a second just to go back to the Xbox home. It feels really organized which makes it easy to navigate. Not to mention this "inferior console" still made drop my jaw with the amazing feel of the controller and looks of Forza. 

Getting a little off-topic, but TL:DR really graphics don't matter. If the game looks nice enough on either console, I would not care one bit if one console had a tiny boost in graphics. If the game looks clean enough, I'm all right. PS4 isn't that great. Xbox One is innovative. Both controllers are nice.

#6 Dasshutsu

Dasshutsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas, US

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

I honestly don't care about actual hardware power. What you said is true- the PS3 was the all-in-one entertainment system while the 360 was the gaming system, and it seems their roles have switched this generation. Overall, I would look at games, because that's what I'd get the console for. If I want to watch TV, movies or netflix, I have a fucking TV to do that on. In my opinion, it boils down to console-specific franchises, and I believe that Sony has Microsoft beat out on that. Granted, the Xbox has some great specific games: Halo, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Ryse, and all the CoD DLC first. However, the Playstation has had Infamous, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts, Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo, Killzone, Resistance...these are only some. Kingdom Hearts has been my absolute favorite game series since I was a kid, and after the release of 1.5 on the PS3, Square Enix is already talking about a game for the 4. So this being said, if I had a choice, I would get the PS4 before the Xbox One. Graphics don't even matter in my opinion.

#7 Daft

Daft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

It does. But the difference is between a "style" (I think about hotline miami) and graphics proper said.

#8 NotSpider

NotSpider

Administrator

• Owner
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

I honestly don't care about actual hardware power. What you said is true- the PS3 was the all-in-one entertainment system while the 360 was the gaming system, and it seems their roles have switched this generation. Overall, I would look at games, because that's what I'd get the console for. If I want to watch TV, movies or netflix, I have a fucking TV to do that on. In my opinion, it boils down to console-specific franchises, and I believe that Sony has Microsoft beat out on that. Granted, the Xbox has some great specific games: Halo, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Ryse, and all the CoD DLC first. However, the Playstation has had Infamous, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts, Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo, Killzone, Resistance...these are only some. Kingdom Hearts has been my absolute favorite game series since I was a kid, and after the release of 1.5 on the PS3, Square Enix is already talking about a game for the 4. So this being said, if I had a choice, I would get the PS4 before the Xbox One. Graphics don't even matter in my opinion.

The problem with that is your talking about what exclusives Microsoft has Forza, Dead Rising, Halo, Gears of War, Killier Instinct, Titan Fall, CoD/BF designed for that system with DLC Support first compared to what the Playstation had on the last gen. On last gen I would give the exclusive win to PS3 but this gen not a chance in hell.  The PS4 exclusives that stand out right now to me are Killzone and thats it. I haven't liked Uncharted or Infamous since the first game and I haven't enjoyed Grand Turismo since it's PS2 days. As for you biggest argument which is the in development Kingdom Hearts 3. It's coming out on Xbox One as well lol.

#9 Dasshutsu

Dasshutsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas, US

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

The problem with that is your talking about what exclusives Microsoft has Forza, Dead Rising, Halo, Gears of War, Killier Instinct, Titan Fall, CoD/BF designed for that system with DLC Support first compared to what the Playstation had on the last gen. On last gen I would give the exclusive win to PS3 but this gen not a chance in hell.  The PS4 exclusives that stand out right now to me are Killzone and thats it. I haven't liked Uncharted or Infamous since the first game and I haven't enjoyed Grand Turismo since it's PS2 days. As for you biggest argument which is the in development Kingdom Hearts 3. It's coming out on Xbox One as well lol.

It is? That's surprising. As for what you said about this gen, a lot of the One's exclusives so far have gotten poor ratings and honestly I've enjoyed the Infamous and Uncharted series, which is almost sure to continue on the new gen.

#10 NotSpider

NotSpider

Administrator

• Owner
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:15 AM

It is? That's surprising. As for what you said about this gen, a lot of the One's exclusives so far have gotten poor ratings and honestly I've enjoyed the Infamous and Uncharted series, which is almost sure to continue on the new gen.

Only that I can think of that got a bad review  is Ryse which is more of a tech demo, I expected that.  In terms of the others, Forza on X1 got a better rating then Gran turismo 6, the Xbox in my opinion has more exclusives in more generes that are better, like the best fighting game currently out Killer Instinct. As well as Halo, Gears, and Titan Fall in the FPS genere. Compared to the PS4 which only has Killzone.

#11 Dasshutsu

Dasshutsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas, US

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Only that I can think of that got a bad review  is Ryse which is more of a tech demo, I expected that.  In terms of the others, Forza on X1 got a better rating then Gran turismo 6, the Xbox in my opinion has more exclusives in more generes that are better, like the best fighting game currently out Killer Instinct. As well as Halo, Gears, and Titan Fall in the FPS genere. Compared to the PS4 which only has Killzone.

I'm pretty sure Gameinformer scored Forza on X1 a low rating because there was barely anything new compared to Forza 4...and Gran Turismo hasn't been good since 3 on the PS2. (I would know, I used to play it all the time xD) But yeah, the PS2 doesn't have as many popular FPS exclusives, but I think they more than make up for it in RPG exclusives...I think Naughty Dog has already announced they will continuing Last of Us as a series, most likely on the PS4. Honestly, if you didn't like Last of Us, then you're a lost cause because in my opinion that was the best game of 2013.

#12 NotSpider

NotSpider

Administrator

• Owner
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm pretty sure Gameinformer scored Forza on X1 a low rating because there was barely anything new compared to Forza 4...and Gran Turismo hasn't been good since 3 on the PS2. (I would know, I used to play it all the time xD) But yeah, the PS2 doesn't have as many popular FPS exclusives, but I think they more than make up for it in RPG exclusives...I think Naughty Dog has already announced they will continuing Last of Us as a series, most likely on the PS4. Honestly, if you didn't like Last of Us, then you're a lost cause because in my opinion that was the best game of 2013.

Nah, Forza on X1 got pretty good ratings all around pretty sure Game Informer gave them an 8.75. As for the PS4 I'm assuming you are talking about, I don't know what you mean by them making up for it with RPG's since firstly Last of Us is an action adventure game not even on the PS4 and secondly I don't know any exclusives that are RPG's that the PS4 currently has announced or released. I think Last of Us is a cool game but not my type of game. It's the zombie survival horror that has been popularized by the Arma 2 Day Z mod. Well, techincally they are "infected" but you get my point. I still think the X1 has more exclusives and better exclusives. Which is funny because of Nintendo would get their shit together they could be doing pretty well. They have the best IPs on the market, better then Sony or Microsoft combined. They just choice to release New Super Mario Bros 9 million before releasing a new Star Fox game or a new Zelda game. Thou I think Super Mario 3D World is the best reason to own a Wii-U that game is fucking nuts.

#13 Dasshutsu

Dasshutsu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas, US

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

Nah, Forza on X1 got pretty good ratings all around pretty sure Game Informer gave them an 8.75. As for the PS4 I'm assuming you are talking about, I don't know what you mean by them making up for it with RPG's since firstly Last of Us is an action adventure game not even on the PS4 and secondly I don't know any exclusives that are RPG's that the PS4 currently has announced or released. I think Last of Us is a cool game but not my type of game. It's the zombie survival horror that has been popularized by the Arma 2 Day Z mod. Well, techincally they are "infected" but you get my point. I still think the X1 has more exclusives and better exclusives. Which is funny because of Nintendo would get their shit together they could be doing pretty well. They have the best IPs on the market, better then Sony or Microsoft combined. They just choice to release New Super Mario Bros 9 million before releasing a new Star Fox game or a new Zelda game. Thou I think Super Mario 3D World is the best reason to own a Wii-U that game is fucking nuts.

Haha no joke, The Monster Hunter series that came out for the Wii and DS was sweet, too. I probably clocked over 100 hours on Monster Hunter Tri, that game was legit. I even got banned twice for hacking, couldn't help myself xD And I guess I don't know what I'm talking about with the consoles, I'm more of a PC gamer now anyway haha.

#14 The Sexy Horse

The Sexy Horse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

It depends really. If I spend sixty dollars on some triple A title that just came out. I expect the graphics to be great or at least on par with the current games out, because of the price point and the budget that triple A titles are given to work with. If I spend 10 dollars on some indie game, I'm not expecting much when it comes to graphics. 

#15 Shank_

Shank_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

It depends really. If I spend sixty dollars on some triple A title that just came out. I expect the graphics to be great or at least on par with the current games out, because of the price point and the budget that triple A titles are given to work with. If I spend 10 dollars on some indie game, I'm not expecting much when it comes to graphics. 

Exactly my reasoning. If I want to spend $60 on Watch Dogs, I expect gameplay and graphics to be good. Mostly graphics. Because it is a next gen title. Even though it is being released on consoles. If I buy an indie game say, Binding of Issac, I want gameplay more than graphics. The challenge and the bosses make the game. Not graphics.

#16 Tdude179

Tdude179

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Exactly my reasoning. If I want to spend $60 on Watch Dogs, I expect gameplay and graphics to be good. Mostly graphics. Because it is a next gen title. Even though it is being released on consoles. If I buy an indie game say, Binding of Issac, I want gameplay more than graphics. The challenge and the bosses make the game. Not graphics.

I, for the most part, agree, however a part of me wouldn't care if the graphics took a hit, but things such as animations were more smooth and mechanics more ironed out. For example, starbound, while the goal of the game wasn't to be the most beautiful, the animations and mechanics felt really worked out and perfected, even while in early beta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users